Image credit: Le Parisien  |  Photo Credit: YouTube
New Delhi: A French teenager said her head swelled up to almost double its original size after suffering a near-fatal allergic reaction to a supermarket darker-coloured hair dye. Estelle, 19, recently told French publication Le Parisien that her forehead had doubled in volume like a lightbulb after applying the product.
Apparently, she had bought the product to darken her hair, however, she suffered a severe allergic reaction due to one of its ingredients, as per the French newspaper report. The hair dye contained the chemical PPD (paraphenylenediamine), which is usually found in some hair dyes and can cause serious allergic reactions. A 2012 case study published in the Journal of Research in Medical Sciences reported that severe PPD allergies can lead to other serious complications like renal failure and respiratory failure.
“I could not breathe, I had a lightbulb head,” she was quoted as saying by Le Parisien. “I almost died, I do not want it to happen to others, she added.”
She also told the paper that before applying the hair dye she performed a patch test, but had left the product on her arm for 30 minutes only against the recommended time of 48 hours. She said her scalp became irritated and began swelling almost immediately after she applied the hair dye. She took antihistamines to help reduce the swelling and irritation, but her condition had worsened by the following morning – her head had swollen to 24.8 inches compared to an average of 22 inches. She said her tongue had also started to enlarge.
Estelle had to be rushed to the emergency room, where she was administered an adrenalin shot and kept overnight for observation. Estelle, who has now made full recovery, said her incident should serve as a warning to others even as she urged users to carry out a patch test for products, especially those containing PPD, prior to the application.